COLLEGE MINISTRY CORNER
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” –
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS TEACH US TO PRAY. When you’re faithfully serving God, He puts you into situations that cause you to have to rely more heavily on him. You learn to pray – really pray – in the mission field. One of the main goals of a mission trip is to teach you how to recognize God’s voice and respond to it.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS EXPOSE US TO GOD’S KINGDOM. There is another reality – a spiritual reality – that we Americans and “westerners” know so very little about. We’re taught to dismiss it, to rationalize it, to explain it away. When you step into an area of the world where the poorest of the poor live, where there is a tremendous physical need and spiritual hunger, you will meet this reality.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS AID THE EFFORTS OF LONG-TERM MISSIONARIES AND MINISTRIES. “Many hands make light work.” – John Heywood. Often times encouragement and help with an overwhelming task can be one of the ways short-term trips can be a benefit to those on the field long-term.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS STRETCH US AND GET US OUT OF OUR COMFORT ZONE. It is a great opportunity to step out of your own environment and experience God at work in other cultures and contexts. It is the perfect recipe for a life changing experience.
- SHORT TERM MISSIONARIES OFTEN MAKE GOOD LONG-TERM MISSIONARIES! It’s amazing how the Lord will speak while we are “focused” and in a place of serving Him already. I pray the Lord will deal with your heart about possibly serving Him through career missions.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS ARE A PERFECT TIME TO “BE HIS WITNESSES”. Expect every encounter to be a “divine encounter”…expect every new person that we meet to be “God sent” and learn to experience life, not as mere coincidences, but as God-ordained, God-planned, God-purposed events that happen to shape and mold us, especially on this trip.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS BUILD DEEPER RELATIONSHIPS WITH MEMBERS OF THE TEAM. Traveling together, rooming together, and serving together in a “different place” will build bonds of friendships that will last you the rest of your life.
- SHORT TERM MISSION TRIPS ALLOW US TO “BOLDLY DECLARE GOD’S GLORY!”, WHICH IS COOK’S MOTTO. Everything we do on a mission trip should be done with the intention of giving God glory through our words, actions, thoughts, prayers, free-time, etc… 1 Corinthians 10:31
In 2017, Cook Baptist Church will be sending a team to Greenville, South Carolina, to help Table Community Church, a new “church plant” being led by Aubrey & Mollie Hogan. The dates are Friday, Feb. 24 – Wednesday, March 1. The cost is $250. Please pray about joining our team. Contact Amanda or I with questions. www.tablecommunitychurch.com
“May the Lord bless you and keep you….” Numbers 6:24-26
Chris, Amanda, Makaylan, Hannah, and Aaron Walker